NZ Historic Ships
A database of historic New Zealand Ships and Boats








Name
Hikitia
Built
1926 by Fleming and Ferguson, Paisley, Scotland
Crane by Sir William Arrol & Co, Glasgow
Original owners
Wellington Harbour Board
Present owners
Maritime Heritage Trust of Wellington
Propulsion
Steam. 2 compound engines each 175IHP, converted from coal to oil firing 1963. Now has two economic boilers instead of original two-furnace Scotch boiler
Tonnage
746.21 gross; 357.78 registered; 1436 displacement
Measurements
L 160ft/48.76m; B 54ft/16.46m; D fwd 5.2ft/1.61m aft 8ft/2.42m
Materials
Steel
Original use
Floating crane
Present use
Working museum
Contact Details
Contact name
Malcolm McGregor
Address
106 Epuni St, Lower Hutt 5011
Web site

http://www.maanz.wellington.net.nz/hikitia/index.html

Telephone
64 (04) 566 0278
Fax
64 (04) 977 5660
Mobile
+64 (021) 618 402
E-mail malcolm.mcgregor@
paradise.net.nz

History

Made delivery voyage via Panama Canal under own power with crane jib in position. Crane capacity 80 ton at 50ft radius. Worked in port of Wellington during commercial life, though laid-up for most of 1980's. Bought by present owners in 1990 and returned to service in 1992. Preserved in Wellington in working state and regularly operated (including commercial operations). Believed to be the only such self-propelled vessel preserved in operating condition

Conversion factors Feet = Metres x 3.281
Metres = Feet 0.3048

 

 

 

 

Minimum display requirements: Screen 800x600 pixel, High Color(16 bit).